27 March, 2013

Green, red and yellow


There's a food that I'm always craving for and that I do almost everyday: a big healthy coloured salad.
My favourite kind of lettuce is the iceberg one, that in my country I can only find in the spanish supermarket Froiz. It tastes better than the other ones, it comes in a package with almost no dirt and it has a very fleshy consistency.
I chop it in very small pieces and put it in a big bowl with two ripe tomatoes and some grated emmental cheese (I prefer the Milram brand, also sold in that same supermarket, but you can use any kind of cheese you prefer). Normally, I season it with three or four table spoons of olive oil (it's healthier than oil because it's lower in fat, but don't use too much or your salad will only taste like oil with some chewable pieces) and some salt.
You can add some small pieces of wallnuts and some vinagre if you like.

My only problem with lettuce is that I can't eat it unless it's very carefully washed, but it takes a while to do so. Therefore, my solution is to put the leaves in a big bowl or a pan with water and some drops of vinegar (I always  pour more than I need just to make sure my salad doesn't have any undesirable habitants) and leave it there for some minutes, while I make the rest of the meal or I do something else. Then I change the water into plain water so the vinegar is all washed away and I'm ready to go.

Se há comida que me apeteça sempre e que faça quase todos os dias, é uma salada. O mais colorida possível.
A alface iceberg é a minha preferida, mas em Portugal, infelizmente, só consigo encontrar no supermercado Froiz. Sabe-me melhor do que qualquer outra, vem embalada sem praticamente terra nem bichos nenhuns e é a mais carnuda de todas.
Costumo cortá-la em pequenos pedaços para dentro de uma taça e junto-lhe dois tomates maduros e, às vezes, queijo emmental ralado (o meu preferido é o da marca Milram, que compro no mesmo supermercado, mas podem usar o que preferirem). Tempero tudo com três ou quatro colheres de sopa de azeite (que é mais saudável do que o óleo porque tem menos gordura, mas convém não exagerar na quantidade que se deita para que a salada saiba melhor do que óleo mastigável) e sal.
Podem ser adicionados pequenos pedaços de nozes e umas gotas de vinagre.

O meu único problema com a alface é que sou incapaz de comê-la a menos que tenha sido meticulosamente lavada, processo que demora algum tempo. Por isso arranjei uma solução eficaz: separo as folhas de alface uma a uma e ponho-as numa taça ou numa panela com água e vinagre (costumo exagerar um bocado na dose que ponho para ter a certeza de que todos os habitantes indesejáveis foram desalojados) durante alguns minutos, enquanto lavo os tomates ou preparo o resto da refeição. Depois substituo a água por água limpa uma ou duas vezes até ter a certeza de que a alface está limpa e pronta para ser comida.

No comments: